Monday, January 7, 2008

Jury Duty


I am currently waiting to perform the patriotic obligation known as Jury Duty. Every year, millions of people throughout the country are summoned to court rooms. The Sixth Amendment to the Constitution provides the right to a "speedy and public trial" that is presided over by an "impartial jury." This right that is enjoyed by all Americans also becomes an obligation that is dreaded by these same people.

As I wait for my number to be called, I have heard the grumblings around me and I unfortunately have also uttered them myself. It seems that we all have something more important to do and other obligations to fulfill. As an educator, I had to make lesson plans and re-arrange the schedule of my students. We are less than a month away from our increasingly important FCAT state exams. This time out of the classroom means at least one less day of preparation for the exam.

Of course, how can I explain to the person on trial in the court room that the FCAT is more important than their case. As a juror, I will have the responsibility of potentially sending someone to or saving them from prison. If it is a civil case then there is the chance of awarding or declining life changing sums of money from a person.

I would like the chance of sitting on a Jury and I do believe that I possess qualities that will allow me to listen to a court case and make a rational decision. On the other hand, it would be great to be dismissed and have the rest of the day off. I will know in the next few hours what my fate will be.

No comments: